Goyt Valley walk 2: Errwood Hall
Walk distance: 2 miles | Approximate time: 2 hours | Date recorded: March 2011
Click the expand button to view video in full screen.
Walk description & directions
This is one of the most popular walks in this part of the Goyt Valley; visiting the evocative ruins of Errwood Hall, before heading up the hillside to the Grimshawe family graves. It also passes the remains of two stone houses – both demolished at the same time as the hall in 1934 – Castedge Farmhouse and Shooter’s Clough Cottage.
1: The starting point is Errwood Hall car park, beside Errwood Reservoir. If the road is closed – which it is on bank holidays as well as Sundays between May and the end of September – park at one of the other car parks on either side of the dam wall, and walk along the road to reach the starting point.
2: Walk up the grass slope, past the information board, go through a gap in the stone wall at the top, and head down the path which bends to the right.
3: Keep going as the path slopes upwards, then turn right at the footpath sign towards the ruins of Errwood Hall. There’s lots of information on this website about the hall and the family that once lived here.
4: It’s still possible to make out the faint traces of the ornamental garden with its central fountain which lay beyond the stone windows and doorway. At the far end are a series of stone steps which once formed part of an impressive archway. Head up these steps.
5: Keep along this path until you exit through a pair of stone gate pillars, and continue in the same direction along the track. Down the bank on the left was Castedge coal mine, but nothing now remains.
6: At the end of the track on the right are the ruins of Castedge Farmhouse which was demolished at the same time as the hall in 1934. In the wall opposite is a small spring which once provided water to the farmhouse, as well the vegetable gardens on the left. Head down this track, between the spring and the garden walls.
7: The remains of Shooter’s Clough Cottage are a little further along on the left, just the other side of the stone wall. This was home to the manager of the coal mine. Details and photos of all these buildings are also on the website.
8: To view the graves of the Grimshawe family, return along the path and head up the slope behind the ruins of Castedge farmhouse. Follow the obvious footpath as it winds around and up the hillside.
9: To continue the walk, go back along the same path until you’re able to turn down the slope and go through a gap in the stone wall on your right.
10: Turn right along this path, then down some steps and over a small wooden bridge to cross the stream.